"The Coast of Leitrim"
past Kevin Barry
from the October 15, 2018 event ofThe New Yorker

One of the more memorable New Yorker stories I've read since starting this site was Kevin Barry'southward "Fjord of Killary," way dorsum in Jan of 2010 (here). I was excited, and then, to see non just some other story by Barry in this calendar week's mag, just likewise to see one with a title that calls back that 2010 story. This week nosotros go "The Declension of Leitrim."

Barry has published ii collections of short stories and 2 novels. His debut novel,City of Bohane, won the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. His second,Beatlebone, won the Goldsmiths Prize. I have even so to read one of his novels, and I am tempted, despite a mountain of books to read, to pick upward these two and spend a fleck of my autumn with Barry'due south longer works.

Merely first nosotros have "The Coast of Leitrim." I'm not sure what tone the story has, only the offset flake talks nigh how hot information technology is while the graphic the magazine placed with the story shows a foggy mountainside. Where I sit here, it'southward a rainy Mon in the mountains where simply a bit higher up it's snowing. Seems like a good day to sit down with this brusque story.

I promise things are going well wherever yous are and that you are as well prepare for some reading. Delight share your thoughts on "The Coast of Leitrim" below!

Liked it? Take a second to support The Mookse and the Gripes on Patreon!